Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

CURIOUS?

When I was writing my first novel a friend asked me if I had a lot of sex in it.  "Sex sells you know."  I just laughed and didn't answer her.  Yes, I know sex sells - magazines, books, movies, and many other things.  But did I want my book to sell because it catered to prurient interests?  No.  I'm not a prude and not opposed to a story having some sex in it, as long as it is germane to the story line and not overly graphic. But I hoped my book would sell because if was a good story, well written.Why did I title this "Curious"?  Because a few days ago my daily newspaper had a large banner covering the front section with the word "Curious" written across it.  When opened there were two full page ads for the movie "Fifty Shades of Grey."  I haven't read the book or seen the movie and don't intend to do either.  Therefore I can't honestly critique the book or the movie.  However, many book reviews by critics as well as friends of mine whose opinions I respect, have all mentioned the poor quality of the writing and the story line.  So what propelled the book to such great success?  The sex, of course.  The author has made a great amount of money, as well as the book sellers, and movie producers.  I read today that the movie opened with an extremely high gross, surpassing other movies on their opening day.  So everyone's happy.  Is anyone proud?
Serious writers who are trying to get their serious works published must feel a little depressed.  I felt that way  some time ago when I learned that Snookie, a Jersey Shore actress, had a book published by a well-known traditional publisher, when I knew how other hard working writers couldn't accomplish that.  But she had name recognition from a ridiculous, but popular, show.  And yes, it featured a lot of sex.  So I say good luck to all of you who are struggling to get published and you choose not to use sex  to be read, don't give up.  Good books may take longer to be seen, but they'll stand the test of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews