Powered By Blogger

Friday, October 1, 2010

Serious Writers - This Will Amaze You

Simon and Schuster, a publishing company I've always respected, will be publishing a "novel" by Snooki of the Jersey Shore TV program.  I'm not a fan of the show, but I've read enough about Snooki to know she admitted to reading her first book only recently.  I think she's now read two.  Although it is an imprint of Simon and Schuster that is doing the publishing, I can no longer look at that publishing company in the same way.  Serious writers who have worked months or years on their novels, and would probably donate body parts to be published by Simon and Schuster, apparently need not apply.  Forget all those writing classes and critique groups.  Forget that we're told the publishers are having a hard time selling books.  Just do something stupid, repeatedly, on a TV show, then scribble something down, and call it a novel.  Publishers will be knocking on your door. Even though we try to aspire to something higher. I guess money is always the bottom line.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews