Powered By Blogger

Thursday, January 10, 2019

Write What You Know or What You Did?

As writers we're always told to write what we know. This makes sense, especially to a new writer who is looking for a theme, especially fiction writers. But what about what we've done? When I wrote my mystery novels I did both, and here's why. My 26-year career in the probation system in California taught me that few people outside the field knew exactly what probation officers did. As a mystery reader, I learned that mystery writers rarely wrote about this important aspect of the criminal justice system, favoring instead the police, forensic examiners, or private investigators. Why not do a fictional novel that unfolds through the probation department in southern California? The reader will learn about an interesting branch of law enforcement while following an engaging story line.

I now have three books in the series about my female protagonist, probation officer Linda Davenport. The latest  is "No Deadlier Destiny." If you haven't read the first two, no problem. Each book stands alone and "No Deadlier Destiny" will keep you turning pages until the surprising twist at the end. Linda's life is threatened by an escaped felon she helped sentence to prison. She goes into hiding and risks all she holds dear, as she struggles to save her impending marriage, and her life. My intimate knowledge of the probation system ensures you will learn about its inner workings while following a suspenseful story line.  I love feedback and can be reached at: Bjfratto@aol.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews