Powered By Blogger

Thursday, January 11, 2018

How Do You Write?

As a writer I'm constantly trying to improve.  I want my writing to be interesting, concise, and well-done.  Which brings me to the third mystery book I'm working on. I do a lot of writing in my head, so when I sit down, I'm ready to tackle my next scene, having worked out how I want it to go. I write carefully, and tend to edit as I go.  I always re-read a few previous pages to make sure my story flows properly. By the time I've finished the manuscript, I read it over and edit once again.  Usually, there is not that much to do.  Lately, however, I've been hearing about another style of writing, through books I've found, or speakers I've heard, at my monthly writers' club meeting.  That is, write the first draft with abandon, write rapidly, write whatever comes to mind, and keep going. Use this process through your whole manuscript. When finished, then go back and do your edits and re-writes. Move chapters around, do whatever the book needs to make it polished.  I can understand the suggestion to write this way as it probably removes writer's block and lets you put down whatever you feel like.  But this would never work for me.  Somehow it seems sloppy and a waste of time.  I can imagine several hundred pages put together this way, and then having to wade through them to clean up all the inconsistencies, grammatical mistakes, and general plot confusion. Maybe I'm in the minority in this. I'd love to hear your thoughts as to how you write and if this "full speed ahead" style is yours, or might work for you.

2 comments:

  1. I don't write that way myself, but I know a few people who use the fast draft method to get the story out, then edit. I usually work by chapters, trying to perfect each one first, then move onto the next. After the book is completely done, I read through it several times to ensure everything makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your style is similar to mine. It makes more sense to me, but people have to do what works for them. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete

Total Pageviews